Thursday, December 24, 2009

Santa Clause is coming to town!

Merry Christmas Eve everyone! I am such a holiday fanatic, and this is in no way an exaggeration. Lately, I have grown nostalgic of the holiday traditions and moments my family has had, so I decided to share them with you all.

Every few years, we are lucky enough to have my grand-parents come from Bulgaria, for the holidays, and those are always such spirited occasions. We spend the entire day cooking and making the most of the short time we have together.

My parent, having grown up in Bulgaria, still celebrate Bulgarian Christmas traditions, with their own twist. It is common to be a vegan for 40 days prior to Christmas in Bulgaria, but we just have a vegan feast on Christmas Eve, bringing in my parents' childhood traditions to our American table.

After dinner, we all hustle into the living room and watch the movies Elf and How the Grinch Stole Christmas, a rather recent tradition; and let me just say, Elf is probably one of my all time favorite movies, regardless of how ridiculous it is. When Buddy the Elf yells "SANTA! I know him! I know him," I crack up every single time :)

Eventually we all go to bed, and in the morning, we wake up to stockings stuffed with goodies (I get a pair of fluffy pink socks every single year haha), and presents underneath the tree. We open up the presents, and this year, we are driving a bit North to visit some family and spend Christmas Day with them having another feast, this time with meat (Bulgarians eat a lot. And when I say a lot, I mean a lot).

Well my mom is calling me for some help with setting the table and finishing up the food, and then I have to get dressed for dinner, so I will talk to you all soon. I hope you all have a happy holiday and it is filled with joy, family, love, and plenty of food! :)


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hi! I left you an award on my blog:
allthewittynamesaretaken.blogspot.com